California Primary Countdown – Three days

Saturday, February 02, 2008

First a little humor:
This morning I stumbled upon a site which combines a Latino viewpoint with a little whimsical irreverence. For example European Non-Girly Man In Charge Of Huge, Basically Mexican Hacienda Sin Bandera State Expected To Endorse Panamanian For Casa Blanca That, of course, refers to our Austrian-born Governator who recently came out for McCain (born while his father was a U.S. navy officer stationed in Panama) over Romney (whose father was born in Mexico of Mormon missionary parents). Or this one in a similar vein: Cubans Choose Panamanian Over Mexican American to be Next President Outlived by Fidel Castro

Yesterday I saw my first yard poster (Romney). As far as I’ve been able to see, my Huckabee bumper sticker (that I mailed away for, Jan 18th) is the only bumper sticker in Tulare or Fresno Counties, for any candidate, in either party. I don’t watch television, so maybe that’s where all the action is.

On January 19th, I signed up as the 8th member of the Tulare County for Mike Huckabee Meetup. I am still the newest member. No meetings are scheduled. On the Huckabee national website, the pre-Super Tuesday action all seems to be in Georgia, with maybe some spillover into Tennessee or Alabama. In news stories, the spin seems to be that by staying in the race, Huckabee is stealing away the conservative votes that rightfully belong to Romney.

Well, no. I was grateful to the voters of Florida for eliminating Giuliani, who had been my worst case scenario for most of last year, but that pops up Romney as next on my list. I’m not one of these people who hammer a politician for changing an occasional position (for example, slamming McCain because he now supports keeping a tax cut that he voted against six years ago). Goodness, do we want a leader who’s not allowed to rethink anything? On the other hand, Romney wants us to believe he rethought everything—that the only thing he retains from the first 25 years of his adulthood is his ability to handle money. On everything else, he’s done 180º.

I could still change, but if Huckabee isn’t contesting California, this social conservative is voting for McCain.

2 comments:

For some reason, I've been getting a rash of phone calls exclusively from the Romney campaign urging me to vote for Mitt.

The last call slammed McCain, accusing him of a history of voting with the Democrats on too many important issues.

Then I got in the car and turned on NPR and got a story where both Hillary and Barak are attacking McCain, saying that a McCain presidency would just be a continuation of Bush politics.

I haven't heard anything directly from the man himself, but if he's drawing this kind of fire from the two ends of the spectrum, he must be doing something right.

Matthew Carroll said...
February 5, 2008 at 2:03 PM  

Hello Brian,
I think I managed to log on your blog at last.A pleasing gift for my Lunar New Year,isn't it?:)

Anonymous said...
February 6, 2008 at 6:42 AM  

Post a Comment