The sexy Psecas (Salticidae)

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

 
I’ve mentioned before that jumping spiders often come in beautiful colors. Yet even I haven’t seen anything that topped this pair of Psecas sp. The male (right, May 1988) impresses me as an Elvis impersonator, looking like he’s poured into those iridescent bands of blue and red, and with his high collar pulled up behind the head to add bulk to the shoulders and neck. The female (left, June 1995) takes the same colors and sends them in a different direction, achieving a little less flash, but more elegance. I need to admit that I posed them on handy vegetation. I have since read that at least some Psecas show an affinity for Bromeliads, unlike most Salticidae who will stroll around whatever plant-life presents itself. At the time I photographed them, I didn’t know what to call them. Now I can identify the genus, but this Colombian species may not have a name yet. It closely resembles pictures of a Psecas from Brazil, but that one lacks a name, as well. Similar members of the genus are found from Central America to Argentina.
Posted by Picasa

1 comments:

Yes, I can just imagine him crooning, "won't-cha let me beeeeeeeeee... your Teddy-bearrrr...", inspired by the moonlight and the magic of the bromeliads.

caedmonstia said...
February 19, 2008 at 12:41 PM  

Post a Comment