Another Gray Fox Summer

Monday, July 14, 2008

Two years ago, a family of foxes made my back yard their home for six weeks (from the end of June to the beginning of August). I read then that foxes often return to the same places to have their litters, so I've been watching. On Mother's Day weekend, I heard baby animals crying from underneith my wood pile, which stoked my interest. Then on the morning of June 20, I got up to find a fox standing guard from the fence while her kits played at the edge of the shrubbery. (Click picture to view an enlargement.)

 

For a brief moment, I saw three kits, but I could only get two in the picture at once.

Two days later, I saw the kits playing in the same spot, though mother was back somewhere out of sight.
I think she's a single mom. Two years ago, I saw Dad coming and going as he hunted, while Mom rested in the shade and kept an eye on things. The kits didn't come out until they were bigger. This year, I saw less of her, and saw no male at all. Now it has been two weeks since I saw her, and three weeks since I saw the kits. I have been standing ready with a video camera (and a freshly scrubbed dining room window to shoot through), but perhaps the show is over. Maybe I spooked her and she moved them to a new location. But I will be watching again next year.
 
Posted by Picasa
Posted by Picasa

Posted by Brian at 9:54 PM  

1 comments:

So cute! I want some foxes, too!

I want a dog but my husband says we can only get one if it's the kind that doesn't poop... so for now, I just have to stick to cats. And large centipedes (or millipedes?), of which we have plenty.

caedmonstia said...
July 17, 2008 at 5:50 AM  

Post a Comment